Fight back. Your privacy is important. Now you can watch the watchers.
Why should you care? Anything and everything you search, or have ever searched for, for using Google remains tagged to you forever.
- If you search on a friends illness it gets tagged to you. If someday your insurance rates increase, or you can't get insurance, is it because of what you searched on? You'll never know.
- You are told that a store is opposite 1200 Main street in your town. Who knows what goes on at 1200 Main Street? Whatever it is you are forever linked to it.
- If you do a research paper on terrorism, nuclear weapons, hacking.
- If you search for how to pay no taxes, make a bomb, use Google Maps someone, sometime, somewhere may want to know why.
- If you've ever done a school report on illegal activity those searches are forever linked to you.
This is real. It's serious. Not a joke. Information in the wrong hands can be a terrible thing. Be careful. Be aware. Be warned because everything you do online, with your credit card, gasoline card, your purchases. All of it is being tracked.
Here's an example and this, as crazy as it sounds, is 100% real. When a woman becomes pregnant, she purchases certain products. By looking at her purchases, her pregnancy can be known to a store, chain of stores, credit agency, or others. And you thought privacy didn't matter.
Download and install Collusion for Firefox and you will be able to see who's watching you online.
Privacy is a real concern, even if you do not log into your Google account because your IP (Internet Protocol) address is your digital finger print, and all your searches can be traced to your location. Literally to the very computer you are using. So, when you search, your location is known. Yes, you can use an anonymous server, but do you?
Yesterday, we blogged on DudkDuckGo, a search engine that does not collect or share personal information. It might be worth a few minutes to look into.
Here is a search engine for you that does not collect your data like Google does. Also Google keeps your information forever. This has vast repercussions, which we won't go into here.
DuckDuckGo does not collect or share personal information.
Simple and direct. If you want to try this search engine for yourself, follow this link http://duckduckgo.com/privacy.html.
Are you living in the past? Want to make more money? Want more out of life?
What do people value today? Knowledge. Please don't confuse this with information. What's the difference? You use Google for information. Knowledge comes from education, study, experience. Knowledge that make information meaningful.
So, if you want more money, a better job, more respect. You got to earn it, and you do that by enhancing yourself. More knowledge, means more responsibility, a more profitable company. Why, because you can take on higher level work, solve tougher problems. Offer your customers more solutions.
Some Ways to Enhance Yourself
- Do things you never did before.
- Read everything. Get to the library. Don't leave without an arm load of books. Read them.
- Be where things are going on. Get involved. Determine what's needed, what's required, what the solution is/are and provide it/them. If you don't have the required skill set, go get it.
John Kennedy said it best, "We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard,* because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too." – John F. Kennedy, 1962
Do the work. Welcome the doing of it. Become an asset, as you become more valuable to yourself, you jog, to society. Do it, make it happen. You'll never be sorry.
Email is not what it used to be. Write for today, not yesterday.
is the true killer app, and it likely will remain so. So what’s up, you
ask. Well, it’s not email but how people read it. They use smart
phones. And on the small screen graphics and long winded signatures
just don’t work.
And we haven’t even considered tools
that turn email into speech. Can you imagine listening to some long
disclaimer statement telling all the things you can’t do. No, we can’t
So what’s the point? Carefully consider
sending your email as text, bare bones. Lots of people are reading on
small screens. And more soon will be. Best be ahead of the curve.
Content that sells. If you write it right, you’ll sell it. If you don’t, you won’t. Part 2.
Yesterday we talked about writing content that sells. Today we will show you why simply listing technical specifications does now work, and why telling the customer features does work.
This description is taken from Web Content Rx, A Quick and Handy Guide for Writers, Webmasters, Ebayers, and Business People, Page 120.
Our toaster reaches working temperature in 4.7 seconds using
12.5 amps at 120 VAC. Its double wall construction never gets
warmer than 87.9 degrees. It is chrome plated with black plastic
throughout. You can vary the cook time from 6.3 to 58 seconds.
Onboard thermal protection stops it from catching fire. Dimensions:
12” x 12” x 8”. 120 VAC cord, 50 cm. included. Warranty.
Above we do everything wrong.
- We talk about time to the tenth of a second. Who cares?
- Next we talk about electrical Amps and volts. Again, who cares?
- Cook time to the tenth of a second. Terrible.
- Worst of all we tell you it won’t catch fire. By not the customer is running away.
- Next we mix inches and centimeters.
The Mythical Deluxe Toaster will delightfully toast four slices of
bread, warm bagels, or make mouth watering English muffins. Our
“Cool Side” technology is always cool to the touch—never hot. Its
functional beauty will grace any kitchen. The Mythical Deluxe Toaster
will make you proud. Guaranteed. Your Mythical Deluxe Toaster is
energy efficient. One year unconditional warranty. It is compact at
12 inches wide, 12 inches deep, 8 inches high. Operates on standard
house current, 120 VAC.
- We open with “… will delightfully ….”
- “Cool side technology is always cool to the touch ….”
- Then follow up with, “Its functional beauty will grace any kitchen.” And, “The Mythical Deluxe Toaster
will make you proud. Guaranteed.”
- “Operates on standard
house current, 120 VAC.”
- Do not expect your customers to know that 120 VAC (Volts Alternating Current) is standard house current in the United States. Always tell them what you want them to know in terms that they will understand. For communications to be effective they must be in the language of the buyer.
In short, this paints a mental picture of a toaster that you would love to own. which is, of course, the whole point.